Montague Center barn burns down, home saved

Recorder/Paul Franz
State Fire Marshal Michael O’Neill talks to homeowner Shane Stout and a neighbor about the fire that leveled their barn at 489 Federal St. in Montague early Wednesday morning.

Recorder/Paul Franz State Fire Marshal Michael O’Neill talks to homeowner Shane Stout and a neighbor about the fire that leveled their barn at 489 Federal St. in Montague early Wednesday morning.

MONTAGUE CENTER — The shutters melted, but firefighters were able to save the home at 489 Federal St.

The barn wasn’t so lucky.

Montague Center Fire Capt. Larry Peters said homeowners reported their four-story barn ablaze at 2:12 a.m. Wednesday.

Peters said the barn was already fully involved, and engines arriving on scene committed to saving the house.

“It was a really good team effort by all departments to stop the fire from spreading to the house,” Peters said.

The two structures were maybe 30 feet apart, Peters said, but the house was still damaged.

“There was a lot of heat, it was a four-story barn,” he said.

All three occupants of the house and three pets were safe, and were able to return to the house Wednesday morning.

The fire claimed personal items stored in the barn, a boat and damaged a nearby trailer, he said.

Peters said the barn is a complete loss, the cause was not immediately obvious and the state Fire Marshal’s office will be investigating. “It doesn’t appear at this time to be anything that I’d be worried about,” Peters added.

The fire drew nine fire departments and closed Route 63, or Federal Street, until approximately 9 a.m.

Turners Falls, Sunderland, Leverett, Greenfield, South Deerfield, Deerfield, Erving and Gill assisted the Montague Center Fire Department.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.