Red Hawks blank Indians, 3-0

  • Recorder/Paul Franz<br/>Fro 32 flies in

    Recorder/Paul Franz
    Fro 32 flies in

  • Recorder/Paul Franz<br/>7 Fro Andy Hale 7 TF Denoise Gregoghita

    Recorder/Paul Franz
    7 Fro Andy Hale 7 TF Denoise Gregoghita

  • Recorder/Paul Franz<br/>Fro 2 Connor Hamilton

    Recorder/Paul Franz
    Fro 2 Connor Hamilton

  • Recorder/Paul Franz<br/>Fro 32 flies in
  • Recorder/Paul Franz<br/>7 Fro Andy Hale 7 TF Denoise Gregoghita
  • Recorder/Paul Franz<br/>Fro 2 Connor Hamilton

Frontier Regional School kept its hot start to the season going.

The Red Hawks used a pair of first-half goals to take control of its independent boys’ soccer game Monday against Turners Falls High School and went on to earn its third win in a row with a 3-0 victory at Herlihy Field in Whately.

After suffering a 6-0 loss to Hopkins Academy in their season-opener, the Red Hawks have now reeled off three wins in a row. The latest win came as Frontier peppered the Indians’ goal with 33 shots, prompting Turners Falls goalie Zack Demars to make 15 saves to keep the score close.

“He played really well,” Frontier coach Dale Totman said of the opposing goalie.

Andy Habel opened the scoring in the 17th minute after he finished off a pass from Chad Parent in the box. Nine minutes later, Niko Ames took a throw in near midfield and caught the Turners Falls defense napping as he threw it over the top of the Indians’ defenders and sent Parent in on a breakaway, which he fired past Demars.

“I’m really pleased with our performance today,” Totman said. “We passed the ball really well.”

Towering defender Andrew MacDonald finished off the scoring in the second half when he moved forward on a free kick from just outside the Turners Falls box. Connor Hamilton took the free kick and found MacDonald, who redirected a head ball past Demars.

“We were simply outplayed in every imaginable way by a very good team,” Turners Falls coach Nate Burgess said.

Dylan Husted stopped all three shots he faced to register the shutout.

Both teams are back in action on Wednesday, as Frontier heads to Springfield to take on Schmid Division opponent Sabis International Charter School, while the Indians look to rebound at home against McGrath North opponent Mahar Regional School.

Pioneer 1, Gateway 0 — Dan Bordner scored in the 31st minute and it stood up as the only goal of the game as Pioneer Valley Regional School edged Gateway Regional High School, 1-0, in an independent boys’ soccer game in Northfield.

The Panthers won a corner kick after some hard work in the Gateway box and the ball was played toward the front of the Gators’ goal where Bordner wound up getting a head on it to beat Gateway goalie Mike Arel.

“We wouldn’t have gotten that goal if the guys weren’t working hard to get that corner in the first place,” Pioneer coach Ben Bricker said. “And then Dan worked hard to get it in the back of the net.”

The win is Pioneer’s second in a row and moves the Panthers to 3-2-0 on the season.

“We are getting into a rhythm,” Bricker said. “Their attitude is changing for the better and now that they’ve tasted victory, they want more of it.”

Gateway outshot Pioneer, 14-13, but Brian Aja stopped 10 shots to earn the shutout. Arel made three saves in the Gateway goal.

Athol 3, Mahar 1 — It wasn’t as easy as it could have been for Athol High School on Monday night.

After a strong opening 30 minutes of play, the Red Raiders took their foot off the gas pedal and allowed Mahar Regional School to get back into the game. Not until Tyler Lajoie scored with 10 minutes remaining were the Red Raiders able to breath a collective sigh of relief as they hung on for a 3-1 independent boys’ soccer victory under the lights at O’Brien Field in Athol.

The Red Raiders (2-1-1) scored twice one minute apart in the first half but around the 30th minute, the hosts began to play lackadaisically. That allowed the Senators (0-3-1) to hang around and eventually pull to within one goal with 15 minutes left in the game. That had Athol coach Dave King pulling his hair out on the sidelines as he urged his team to regain their composure.

“I thought we played a great first 30 minutes of the game,” he explained. “We moved the ball well and put ourselves in very dangerous situations in their attacking zone. I think after we got two goals, we got away from that. We thought we could beat guys one-on-one. And Mahar never quit. they played tough, and when a team sticks around in a game for that long, and you never put them away, they get a little energy.”

Mahar cut the deficit to one goal with 15 minutes remaining when Pedro Matos lined up and blasted a direct kick from 20 yards away. Athol goalie Jamie Posk made the initial save but Ethan Nye was on the doorstep to knock the ball home.

Athol recovered from the goal and Tyler Lajoie used a strong individual effort with 10 minutes left when he beat the rightside fullback and then beat Mahar goalie Matt Simington with an insurance goal.

Posk finished with three saves in the win, while Simmington collected 10 saves in the loss.

Xavier Santana scored 19 minutes, 36 seconds into the game when he picked up a rebound off a Simmington save and deposited the ball in the back of the net. One minute later, Brad Bousquet made it 2-0 off an assist from Tanner Pavilionis.

McCann Tech 9, FC Tech 0 — Shane Fuller scored three times on Monday to lead McCann Technical School to a 9-0 Tri-County League North Division boys’ soccer win over Franklin County Technical School in North Adams.

Josh Budaj, Evan LeMire, Jon Leal, Damon Couture and Steven LeMire each added one goal in the win.

Girls’ soccer

Mahar 2, Mohawk 1 — Mohawk Trail Regional High School gave Mahar everything it could handle on Monday but the Senators ran their unbeaten streak to three games with a 2-1 Franklin County League girls’ soccer victory in Buckland.

The Warriors (0-5-1) surprised the Senators early on and took a 1-0 lead three minutes into the game when Melissa Clark forced a turnover at the top of the 18 and chipped the ball over Mahar goalie Sydney Whitcomb. Mahar (3-1-1) tied the score with 10 minutes left in the first half when Alex Temple fed Quiana Rivera for a goal. Cassie Verheyen won the game for the Senators with about seven minutes to go in the second half when she scored on an assist from Keauna Foster.

Whitcomb finished with three saves to earn the win, while Sally Slowinski continued to play well in the Mohawk net, stopping 17 shots in the loss.

Athol 5. Ware 0 — Olivia Smith and Emily Cassella each had a goal and an assist to lead host Athol High School to a 5-0 shutout victory over Ware High School in an independent girls’ soccer match Monday afternoon.

Julia Carey, Lindsay Hamlett, and Callie Jillson each added a goal for the Red Raiders, Tanner Favreau recorded an assist, and goalie Stephanie Putnam recorded saves on all seven shots she faced.

Smith Academy 2, Frontier 1 — Cassidy Snyder scored once in each half on Monday and Smith Academy edged Frontier, 2-1, in an independent girls’ soccer game in South Deerfield.

Snyder put the Falcons ahead 1-0 in the 20th minute off an assist from Hannah Rickert, but the Red Hawks (1-2-1) tied the score four minutes before halftime when Elaine LaBarbera centered the ball off a corner kick and found Kara Felton, who buried the ball past Falcon goalie Brooke Pashek.

The Falcons moved back in front just two minutes into the second half when Snyder caught the Red Hawks flat-footed and scored an unassisted goal. Pashek kept Frontier off the board in the second half and finished with eight saves in the win.

Camilla Baronas stopped eight shots in the loss.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.