Dehumidifier fire caught in time
GREENFIELD — Functioning smoke detectors and other fortunate factors prevented a basement fire from doing more than smoke damage Sunday morning, according to firefighters.
Greenfield Fire Capt. Kyle Phelps said the report of smoke in the basement of 22 Cedar Glen came in at 11:10 a.m. and firefighters found and quickly knocked down a fire sparked by an electrically overloaded dehumidifier.
Phelps said 20 firefighters including a standby team from Turners Falls responded to the first alarm fire, which damaged property but hurt no one.
The fire destroyed the dehumidifier and caused a lot of smoke damage in the basement and throughout the house, Pelps said, but the homeowner was alerted in time by a popping sound from the basement and smoke detectors, and the fire did not spread.
“She was home at the time, luckily,” Phelps said. “Quick notification, her smoke detectors notified her and she was able to call 911 and the on-duty crew did a great job.”