A shower
66°
A shower
Hi 69° | Lo 57°

Seven displaced by Phillips Street kitchen fire

Recorder/David Rainville
Firefighters enter the east side of a multi-family Phillips Street home, the scene of a Wednesday evening fire.

Recorder/David Rainville Firefighters enter the east side of a multi-family Phillips Street home, the scene of a Wednesday evening fire.

GREENFIELD — Several residents were forced from a three-family home Wednesday evening, after a fire broke out in a first-floor apartment.

The fire was called in at 38 Phillips St., at about 5:45 p.m.

Smoke poured from windows on every floor of the three-story building, and alarms blared as firefighters made their way inside to fight the flames. The fire was declared under control in short order, but firefighters stayed on the scene to investigate, and check for hot spots and flare-ups by cutting into walls and floors and using thermal imaging equipment.

“The fire was contained to the kitchen and pantry,” said Greenfield Fire Captain Kyle Phelps. “It was a quick knock-down, the on-duty crew did a great job. We had a lot of help, too, and that’s always good.”

Phelps said the fire was started by an accidental grease fire in the first-floor apartment on the east side of the building.

The Red Cross was called in to assist seven people in three families displaced by Wednesday’s fire.

The building inspector came to check on the damage, but, at press time, Phelps said he had not heard the inspector’s findings. Whether or not the building is deemed inhabitable, he said, the residents were out for at least the night.

Firefighters from the Turners Falls, Bernardston fire departments responded to aid Greenfield.

Most firefighters were released from the scene by 9:45 p.m., but a single engine and its crew were directed to stay on-scene until 3 a.m. today to watch for flare-ups.

David Rainville can be reached at:
drainville@recorder.com
or 413-772-0261, ext. 279

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.