Early-morning trash fire rousts residents of Weldon House

GREENFIELD — An early morning fire prompted the partial evacuation of the Weldon House on Monday.

Greenfield Deputy Fire Chief Robert Strahan said an automatic fire alarm brought firefighters to the senior housing complex. Strahan said the fire, which is under investigation, was in a trash chute and the sprinkler system activated and kept the fire under control, but caused water damage on the first floor while smoke spread to all four floors.

Strahan said the residents were partially evacuated and moved to the attached senior center. Strahan said no one was hurt but a resident was taken to the hospital for a medical condition.

Two apartments were not immediately re-enterable, and according to the police log one resident was found a room in a local hotel.

Also according to the log, the alarm was triggered at 1:42 a.m. and the last vehicle cleared at 4:27 a.m.

Most residents were allowed back into the building within about an hour.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.