Northfield fire damages garage apartment
NORTHFIELD — An apartment was damaged but no one was hurt in a two-alarm blaze on South Mountain Road Sunday, said Northfield Fire Chief Floyd “Skip” Dunnell III.
Dunnell said the fire started in the walls of an apartment above a detached garage at 50-A South Mountain Road.
Dunnell said the residents, a couple, were away at the time and are now staying with relatives.
Dunnell said structural repairs will be necessary before the apartment is again habitable, with some fire damage to the attic and water damage to the apartment.
An overheated pipe from a wood stove built up radiant heat in a partition, igniting a fire that spread up through the wall and travelled the full length of the attic, Dunnell said.
Dunnell said the approximately 45 firefighters on scene had the fire under control within about 45 minutes and the last of the Northfield equipment had just returned to the station at 5 p.m. following extensive overhaul and checks for remaining hot spots.
You can reach Chris Curtis at:
or 413-772-0261, ext. 257