M/clear
50°
M/clear
Hi 70° | Lo 41°

Orange wood stove fire  leaves house uninhabitable

House fire Orange 10 - 29- 12

House fire Orange 10 - 29- 12 Purchase photo reprints »

ORANGE — A fire apparently sparked by a wood stove has left the home at 17 Shumway St. uninhabitable, according to firefighters.

Fire Chief Dennis Annear said firefighters initially thought someone was inside due to a vehicle in the driveway, but no one was inside at the time of the 10:07 a.m. blaze.

A pet dog died in the fire, Annear said, but the resident was away visiting his wife in the nursing home at the time.

The two-alarm fire did significant smoke and heat damage to the first-floor walls and ceiling and the roof of the two-and-a-half-story wood structure.

Erving, Athol, New Salem, Philipston, Northfield and Greenfield departments helped fight the fire, and Gill and Shutesbury covered the station.

During the fire, the Gill and Shutesbury departments responded to a home on Holtshire Road struck by a tree.

Annear said the tree did minimal damage and no one was hurt. Winds were not yet severe, and Annear said the building inspector reported the tree was rotten at the base.

You can reach Chris Curtis at:
ccurtis@recorder.com
or 413-772-0261, ext. 257

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.