Bulletin Board:Pedigree beats Bross of Wood-Racket title
Steve Pedigree captured the Greenfield Wood Racket Men’s Singles Tennis Tournament title Wednesday night with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Trevor Bross at the Beacon Field Tennis Courts in Greenfield.
In the Consolation round, Matt Howell finished third overall, winning eight of 12 matches.
Greenfield Elks League
David Snow and David Bonnette lead the Greenfield Elks Golf League with 341/ 2 points after Wednesday’s play at the Country Club of Greenfield.
Bob Walker and John Kaczenski are in second place with 281/ 2 points.
Dave McDonald was closest to the pin on No. 5 (9 feet, 2 inches).
CCG over CC Wilbraham
The Country Club of Greenfield posted a 231/ 2-111/ 2 win over the Wilbraham Country Club in an inter-club match Wednesday in Greenfield.
Gordon Parker and Kevin Courtney posted a low-net score of 61 to lead the hosts, followed by Fran Gougeon and Terry Doton with a 62.
Babe Ruth Fall Ball
The Franklin County Babe Ruth Baseball League will hold its final registration session for its Fall League Saturday morning from 9 a.m. until noon at Abercrombie Field in Greenfield.
The league is open to players ages 12 to 15 (as of April 30) and is an excellent opportunity for 12-year-olds to get experience on a 90-foot diamond. The fee is $60, and the league will begin on the first weekend in September.
For questions call Joe Mignault at 413-774-3876 or Gabe Mousseau 413-648-9170.
Meanwhile, the league will hold its general membership meeting tonight at 6 at St. Kazimierz Society in Turners Falls.
Topics include fall baseball, scholarship program and rules for next season.
The 11th-annual Greg Belanger Memorial Scholarship fund-raiser is scheduled for Saturday at the South Deerfield Polish Club.
Belanger was a 24-year-old Army officer serving in Iraq with the 325th Military Intelligence Battalion when killed in action on Aug. 27, 2003. The vehicle he was riding in was struck by an improvised explosive device near Hallia.
Over the years, his family has raised thousands of dollars in his memory to help his graduates from alma mater, Frontier Regional School, pay for college tuition. This afternoon’s event begins at 4 p.m. and will include dinner, drink and raffles.
The Greenfield Middle School football team will hold its opening day practice Monday at 5 at Veterans Memorial Field in Greenfield.
Any seventh and eighth graders interested in playing should show up. All players should bring the necessary paperwork to practice, including physical forms. Anyone needing forms can find them on the Greenfield Public Schools website or at the middle school or high school offices.
Girls’ Soccer Coach sought
Frontier Regional School is looking for a coach for the girls’ junior varsity soccer team.
Anyone interested should apply to Scott Dredge at Frontier Regional School, 113 North Main Street, South Deerfield, MA, 01373 or email email@example.com.
• Cross country — Today, at Franklin County Technical School, time TBA.
• Field hockey — Today and Friday, 9 a.m. to noon; Aug. 23, 8 to 10 a.m.; Aug. 25 through 29, 3 to 6 p.m.
• Golf — Today, 11 a.m., at Thomas Memorial Golf & Country Club.
• Girls’ soccer — Today, 4 to 6 p.m.
• Volleyball — Today and Friday, 5 to 8 p.m.; Aug. 23 and 24, 10 a.m. to noon; Aug. 25 to 28, 5 to 8.
• JV Volleyball — Monday-Friday from 3:30 to 5.
• Middle school football — Parents’ meeting, Aug. 24, 5:45 p.m.; first practice, Aug. 25, first practice, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
• Middle school field hockey — First day of school, after school.
• Middle school soccer — Sept. 2, after school.
MS soccer coach sought
Great Falls Middle School is seeking a middle school soccer coach. For more information, contact athletic director Adam Graves at 863-7200 ext. 7314 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Boys’ soccer — Today at 4 behind high school (grades 8 through 12).
• Girls’ soccer — Today at 4 behind high school (grades 8 through 12).
• Cross country — Today at 3 behind high school (boys and girls grades 7 through 12).
• Field hockey — Today at 9 a.m. behind high school (grades 7 through 12).
• Girls’ volleyball — Today at 9 a.m. behind high school (grades 8 through 12).
• Golf — Today at 3 at the Country Club of Greenfield (grades 8 through 12).
• Cheerleading — Today at 10 a.m. behind high school (grades 8 through 12).
All players should have the white forms and physical forms completed in order to start practice.
• Cross country — Today at 6 behind high school. Grades 7 through 12.
• Field hockey — Varsity and JV today from 9 a.m. until noon.
• Golf — Tryouts for grades 7 through 12 today at 3 at Cherry Hill Golf Course in Amherst.
• Boys’ soccer — Varsity and JV tryouts (grades 7 through 12) today from 10:30 a.m. until 1 and 4 to 6 at Herlihy Park.
• Girls’ soccer — Varsity and JV tryouts (grades 7-12) today from 8 to 10:30 a.m. and 2 to 4 at Herlihy Park.
• Girls’ volleyball — Tryouts today. Grades 10 through 12 from 1 to 4 p.m. and grades 7 to 9 from 5 to 7 p.m.
• Middle School football — Sept. 2 after school.
• Middle school soccer — Boys and girls on Sept. 2 after school.
• Middle school field hockey — Sept. 2 after school.
All players must have a medical exam within 13 months of the first practice date and on record at Frontier to be eligible to practice. Coaches will accept updated medical forms at practice sites. Players will become ineligible to participate on the exact day 13 months from their last physical.
Cross country — Today and Friday, 4 p.m.
Field hockey — Today and Friday, 8 a.m. to noon; Aug. 23, 8 to 10 a.m.
Golf — Today and Friday, 10 a.m. to noon, at Edge Hill Golf Course in Ashfield.
Boys’ soccer — Today and Friday, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Girls’ soccer — Today and Friday, 4 to 7 p.m.; Aug. 23, 9 to 11:30 a.m.
Girls’ volleyball — Today and Friday, 2:30 to 5 p.m.
Players are asked to bring their completed athletic contract if they have not already passed it in.
Cross country — Today, 9 to 10:30 a.m.
Golf — Today, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Northfield Golf Course.
Field hockey — Today, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Boys’ soccer (grades 9-12) — Today, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Girls’ soccer (grades 9-12) — Today 9 to 11 p.m. and 5 to 7 p.m.
Volleyball (grades 9-12) — Today, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
Middle School soccer and volleyball — Sept. 2, after school.
Baseline testing for student-athletes who did not complete the test last year will be done Today from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Room 408.
Deerfield Rec registration
The Deerfield Recreation Department will sponsor youth soccer programs for children in grades K through 6 this fall.
Registration will be held Aug. 28 and Sept. 2 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at Town Hall in South Deerfield. Registration forms can also be found online at www.deerfieldma.us.
Registration fee is $50 per child.
For more information, contact the Recreation Department at 413-665-1400 ext. 107 or email@example.com.
Youth field hockey
Union 38 intro program
Deerfield Rec will conduct the Union 38 Introduction to Field Hockey program for girls in grades 3 through 6 from the towns of Deerfield, Whately, Sunderland and Conway.
The focus of the program will be on skill development with game scenarios later in the season.
Sticks, shin guards and balls (with a deposit) will be provided to the first 35 girls who register. Players are encouraged to wear a mouthguard.
Practices will be held on Sundays from Sept. 14 through Oct. 19 from 4 to 5 p.m. at Memorial Field in South Deerfield.
Fees are $10 for registration and $50 for equipment deposit. Parents are asked to write separate checks for each (equipment deposit checks will be returned at the last session, when all equipment is returned).
Registration Forms available online atwww.deerfieldma.us.
For more information or to register, contact the Rec Office at 665-1400 Ext. 107 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.