Bulletin Board: Wood-Racket tennis semifinals set
Rick Miner defeated Paul Beaulieu, 6-1, 6-2, Monday night during opening play of the Wood Racket Tennis Tournament at the Beacon Field Tennis Courts in Greenfield.
Miner will take on Steve Pedigree in the semifinals after Pedigree defeated Byron Caplice, 6-1, 6-0 Monday. On the other side of the bracket, Tim Prevost defeated Matt Howell, 6-1, 6-1. Prevost will play Trevor Bross, who bested Brian Campbell, 6-2, 6-1.
In the consolation bracket, Beaulieu will play Caplice and Howell will play Campbell.
All matches begin tonight at 5:30 at Beacon Field.
Mark K. Memorial
Dick West, Don Parda, Diane Slaunwhite and Bob Mott shot a 61 to win low gross during the Mark K. Memorial Mixed Golf League at Oak Ridge Golf Club in Gill on Monday.
Bob LaCoy, Winston Powell, Frank Bertrand and Ron Bovat came in second with a 62.
Don Mason was closest to the pin on both No. 6 and No. 7 and also teammed up with Ed Winseck to win low gross during the Monday Night Skins League at the Northfield Golf Course.
Mason and Winseck won low gross with a 31. Mason was closest on No. 6 at 15 feet, and closest on No. 7 at 8 feet. Peter Jenkins and Devin Lockley won low net with a 29.
Rich McFadden, Jason Wallace, Jason Kelton and Alec Duda won low gross with a 59 during the Rotary Club Outing at the Country Club of Greenfield Monday.
AJ Bresciano, Rich Peel, Corey Lovett and Steve Lovett won low net with a 58. In the Mixed Division, Matt Pitoniak, Josh Cook, Sharon Rawson and Jack Varner won low gross with a 57, while Mike Johnson, Audrey LaBonte, Bob Provost and Princy Stotz won low net with a 58.
Nancy Donoghue, Anne Echeverria, Sally Roberts and Julie Schonbrun won low gross in the Women’s Division with a 62, and Jane Brown, Terese Romano, Dinae LaVert and Kathie Fahey won low net with a 59.
Thomas Men’s League
Eric Adams fired a 35 to take low gross during the Monday Night Men’s League at Thomas Memorial Golf & Country Club in Turners Falls.
Corey Couture was closest to the pin on No. 9 at 15 feet. Garrett Cousineau leads the league with 156 points, and Mike Hall is in second with 143.
Idira Wells Tournament
Garrett Cousineau, Chris Bourbeau, Steve Jones and Dan Gavin shot a 53 to win first place during the Indira Wells Benefit Tournament at Thomas Memorial Golf & Country Club in Turners Falls over the weekend.
Dave Donoghue, Jeremiah Bayer, Matt Eaton and Jared Ewart came in second with a 54. Jones was closest to the pin on No. 7 at 13 feet, while Eaton was closest on No. 9 at 6-3.
Sys Fund Tournament
The fifth annual Sy’s Fund Golf Tournament will take place Thursday at Crumpin-Fox Club in Bernardston.
The tournament is an 18-hole, four-person team scramble and features a shotgun start at 9 a.m. Cost is $100 per player, including greens fees, golf cart, snacks and lunch. Prizes will be awarded, and Brattleboro Ford-Subaru will give away a $25,000 car for a hole-in-one.
For more information contact Terry Bonnette at 802-376-4454 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Greenfield Middle School football team will hold its opening day practice Monday at 5 at Veterans Memorial Field in Greenfield.
Any seventh and eighth graders interested in playing should show up. All players should bring the necessary paperwork to practice, including physical forms. Anyone needing forms can find them on the Greenfield Public Schools website or at the middle school or high school offices.
• Cross country — Thursday, at Franklin County Technical School, time TBA.
• Field hockey — Thursday and Aug. 22, 9 a.m. to noon; Aug. 23, 8 to 10 a.m.; Aug. 25 through 29, 3 to 6 p.m.
• Golf — Thursday, 11 a.m., at Thomas Memorial Golf & Country Club.
• Boys’ soccer — Thursday and Aug. 22, 10 a.m. to noon.
• Girls’ soccer — Thursday, 4 to 6 p.m.
• Volleyball — Thursday and Aug. 22, 5 to 8 p.m.; Aug. 23 and 24, 10 a.m. to noon; Aug. 25 to 28, 5 to 8.
• Middle school football — Parents’ meeting, Aug. 24, 5:45 p.m.; first practice, Aug. 25, first practice, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
• Middle school field hockey — First day of school, after school.
• Middle school soccer — Sept. 2, after school.
MS soccer coach sought
Great Falls Middle School is seeking a middle school soccer coach. For more information, contact athletic director Adam Graves at 863-7200 ext. 7314 or email to email@example.com.
• Boys’ soccer —Thursday at 4 behind high school (grades 8 through 12).
• Girls’ soccer — Thursday at 4 behind high school (grades 8 through 12).
• Cross country — Thursday at 3 behind high school (boys and girls grades 7 through 12).
• Field hockey — Thursday at 9 a.m. behind high school (grades 7 through 12).
• Girls’ volleyball — Thursday at 9 a.m. behind high school (grades 8 through 12).
• Golf — Thursday at 3 at the Country Club of Greenfield (grades 8 through 12).
• Cheerleading — Thursday at 10 a.m. behind high school (grades 8 through 12).
All players should have the white forms and physical forms completed in order to start practice.
• Cross country — Thursday at 6 behind high school. Grades 7 through 12.
• Field hockey — Varsity and JV on Thursday from 9 a.m. until noon.
• Golf — Tryouts for grades 7 through 12 on Thursday at 3 at Cherry Hill Golf Course in Amherst.
• Boys’ soccer — Varsity and JV tryouts (grades 7 through 12) on Thursday from 10:30 a.m. until 1 and 4 to 6 at Herlihy Park.
• Girls’ soccer — Varsity and JV tryouts (grades 7-12) on Thursday from 8 to 10:30 a.m. and 2 to 4 at Herlihy Park.
• Girls’ volleyball — Tryouts on Thursday. Grades 10 through 12 from 1 to 4 p.m. and grades 7 to 9 from 5 to 7 p.m.
• Middle School football — Sept. 2 after school.
• Middle school soccer — Boys and girls on Sept. 2 after school.
• Middle school field hockey — Sept. 2 after school.
All players must have a medical exam within 13 months of the first practice date and on record at Frontier to be eligible to practice. Coaches will accept updated medical forms at practice sites. Players will become ineligible to participate on the exact day 13 months from their last physical.
Cross country — Thursday and Aug. 22, 4 p.m.
Field hockey — Thursday and Aug. 22, 8 a.m. to noon; Aug. 23, 8 to 10 a.m.
Golf — Thursday and Aug. 22, 10 a.m. to noon, at Edge Hill Golf Course in Ashfield.
Boys’ soccer — Thursday and Aug. 22, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Girls’ soccer — Thursday and Aug. 22, 4 to 7 p.m.; Aug. 23, 9 to 11:30 a.m.
Girls’ volleyball — Thursday and Aug. 22, 2:30 to 5 p.m.
Players are asked to bring their completed athletic contract if they have not already passed it in.
Cross country — Thursday, 9 to 10:30 a.m.
Golf — Thursday, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Northfield Golf Course.
Field hockey — Thursday, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Boys’ soccer (grades 9-12) — Thursday, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Girls’ soccer (grades 9-12) — Thursday August 21 9 to 11 and 5 to 7
Volleyball (grades 9-12) — Thursday, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
Middle School soccer and volleyball — Sept. 2, after school.
Baseline testing for student-athletes who did not complete the test last year will be done Thursday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Room 408.
Deerfield Rec registration
The Deerfield Recreation Department will sponsor youth soccer programs for children in grades K through 6 this fall.
Registration will be held Aug. 28 and Sept. 2 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at Town Hall in South Deerfield. Registration forms can also be found online at www.deerfieldma.us.
Registration fee is $50 per child.
For more information, contact the Recreation Department at 413-665-1400 ext. 107 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Youth field hockey
Union 38 intro program
Deerfield Rec will conduct the Union 38 Introduction to Field Hockey program for girls in grades 3 through 6 from the towns of Deerfield, Whately, Sunderland and Conway.
The focus of the program will be on skill development with game scenarios later in the season.
Sticks, shin guards and balls (with a deposit) will be provided to the first 35 girls who register. Players are encouraged to wear a mouthguard.
Practices will be held on Sundays from Sept. 14 through Oct. 19 from 4 to 5 p.m. at Memorial Field in South Deerfield.
Fees are $10 for registration and $50 for equipment deposit. Parents are asked to write separate checks for each (equipment deposit checks will be returned at the last session, when all equipment is returned).
Registration Forms available online atwww.deerfieldma.us.
For more information or to register, contact the Rec Office at 665-1400 Ext. 107 or email to email@example.com.