Beck’s knocks off Smitty’s in Co-Rec playoffs
Heather Lucas went 3-for-4 with three RBIs as third-seeded Beck’s Automotive upset second-seeded Smitty’s Pub, 9-7, in A Division playoff action in the Greenfield Co-Rec Adult Softball League Friday at Hillside Park in Greenfield.
The double-elimination playoffs continue all weekend long in Greenfield.
Jeff Guy finished 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles in the win, and Uriah Bartlett went 2-for-4 with a double.
Doug Letourneau hit a three-run home run for Smitty’s, while Joe Gamache added two hits.
• In other action, Dave Wiles knocked in Jim Bergeron with the game-winning RBI in the bottom of the seventh inning as top-seeded The Doors held on for a 9-8 win over Brad’s Place at Green River Park.
Matt Luippold’s three-run home run in the top of the seventh inning gave Brad’s a 8-7 lead but the Doors came back in the bottom of the frame. Sarah Taylor led off with a hit and Bergeron followed with a single. Jeremy Demers tied the game with a single, and Wiles grounded out to short, but on the play, Bergeron came home to score the game winning run.
Taylor and Bergeron each finished 3-for-4 with three runs scored apiece in the win.
Luippold finished 3-for-4 with four RBIs for Brad’s and according to Doors head coach Steve Smith made multiple defensive plays and had perhaps the best Co-Rec game of any player he has ever seen.
“He was definitely the player of the game,” Smith said.
Tina Riddell finished 2-for-3 with two runs in the loss.
• In B Division action, Tim Sevrens pitched a gem and helped himself out at the plate with a 4-for-4 performance and three RBIs as Turners Falls Pizza House doubled up Team Allure, 6-3, at Green River Field.
Carly Nartowicz went 3-for-4 with a double in the win, and Justin Nash banged out a pair of hits.
Husband and wife tandem Ed and Mary Morley paced Team Allure in the loss as Ed went 3-for-3 and Mary finished 2-for-3.
• In the other B Division semifinal out of the championship bracket, Eric Boliski and Adrian Cramer each went 2-for-3 with an RBI as The Red Door defeated Hot-L Warren, 11-8, at Greenfield Middle School.
Jason Sikorski went 3-for-4 with a triple in the loss, and Liz Sweet went 2-for-2 with an RBI.
The Greenfield Tennis Association is hosting the Wood Racket Tennis Tournament at the Beacon Field Tennis Courts in Greenfield from Monday through Thursday.
The tournament is a singles format, best-of-three sets. Trophies will be awarded to the first- and second-place finishers. The tournament is open to men and women 15 and older and costs $10.
There will also be a separate loser’s bracket, with a prize given to whoever wins the loser’s bracket championship.
Deadline to register is Sunday at 7 p.m. To register, contact Rick Miner at 863-4428.
Turners testing, practices
Impact testing for all Turners Falls High School athletes is scheduled for Monday from 10 a.m. to noon in the Middle School Computer Room.
Practice starts Monday for varsity football, Thursday for other varsity sports, and the following week for middle school sports. All practices are at the school unless otherwise noted:
• Football — parents’ meeting, Sunday, 4:30 p.m.; issuance of equipment immediately following meeting. First conditioning practice, Monday at 4:30.
• Cross country — Thursday, at Franklin County Technical School, time TBA.
• Field hockey — Thursday and Friday, 9 a.m. to noon; Aug. 23, 8 to 10 a.m.; Aug. 25 through 29, 3 to 6 p.m.
• Golf — Thursday, 11 a.m., at Thomas Memorial Golf & Country Club.
• Boys’ soccer — Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. to noon.
• Girls’ soccer — Thursday, 4 to 6 p.m.
• Volleyball — Thursday and Friday, 5 to 8 p.m.; Aug. 23 and 24, 10 a.m. to noon; Aug. 25 to 28, 5 to 8.
• Middle school football — Parents’ meeting, Aug. 24, 5:45 p.m.; first practice, Aug. 25, first practice, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
• Middle school field hockey — First day of school, after school.
• Middle school soccer — Sept. 2, after school.
MS soccer coach sought
Great Falls Middle School is seeking a middle school soccer coach. For more information, contact athletic director Adam Graves at 863-7200 ext. 7314 or email to email@example.com.
Greenfield High School announced dates and times for opening day practices for the fall sports season:
• Football — Monday through Friday at 9 a.m. at Vets fieldhouse. Grades 9 through 12.
• Boys’ soccer —Thursday at 4 behind high school (grades 8 through 12).
• Girls’ soccer — Thursday at 4 behind high school (grades 8 through 12).
• Cross country — Thursday at 3 behind high school (boys and girls grades 7 through 12).
• Field hockey — Thursday at 9 a.m. behind high school (grades 7 through 12).
• Girls’ volleyball — Thursday at 9 a.m. behind high school (grades 8 through 12).
• Golf — Thursday at 3 at the Country Club of Greenfield (grades 8 through 12).
• Cheerleading — Thursday at 10 a.m. behind high school (grades 8 through 12).
All players should have the white forms and physical forms completed in order to start practice.
Frontier opening practices
Frontier Regional School announced dates and times for opening day practices of the fall sports’ season:
• Football — Varsity and junior varsity: Meeting/equipment handout on Sunday at 5 p.m. First practice on Monday from 5 to 7 p.m.
• Cross country — Thursday at 6 behind high school. Grades 7 through 12.
• Field hockey — Varsity and JV on Thursday from 9 a.m. until noon.
• Golf — Tryouts for grades 7 through 12 on Thursday at 3 at Cherry Hill Golf Course in Amherst.
• Boys’ soccer — Varsity and JV tryouts (grades 7 through 12) on Thursday from 10:30 a.m. until 1 and 4 to 6 at Herlihy Park.
• Girls’ soccer — Varsity and JV tryouts (grades 7-12) on Thursday from 8 to 10:30 a.m. and 2 to 4 at Herlihy Park.
• Girls’ volleyball — Tryouts on Thursday. Grades 10 through 12 from 1 to 4 p.m. and grades 7 to 9 from 5 to 7 p.m.
• Middle School football — Sept. 2 after school.
• Middle school soccer — Boys and girls on Sept. 2 after school.
• Middle school field hockey — Sept. 2 after school.
All players must have a medical exam within 13 months of the first practice date and on record at Frontier to be eligible to practice. Coaches will accept updated medical forms at practice sites. Players will become ineligible to participate on the exact day 13 months from their last physical.
Mohawk Trail Regional High School has announced the following practice times for all varsity sports (all practices are at the school unless otherwise noted):
Football — Monday through Wednesday, 4 to 6 p.m., Thursday and Friday, 4 to 8 p.m.
Cross country — Thursday and Friday, 4 p.m.
Field hockey — Thursday and Friday, 8 a.m. to noon; Aug. 23, 8 to 10 a.m.
Golf — Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. to noon, at Edge Hill Golf Course in Ashfield.
Boys’ soccer — Thursday and Friday, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Girls’ soccer — Thursday and Friday, 4 to 7 p.m.; Aug. 23, 9 to 11:30 a.m.
Girls’ volleyball — Thursday and Friday, 2:30 to 5 p.m.
Players are asked to bring their completed athletic contract if they have not already passed it in.
Pioneer Valley Regional School has announced the following practice times for all sports (all practices are at the school unless otherwise noted):
Football — Monday, 3 to 5:30 p.m.
Cross country — Thursday, 9 to 10:30 a.m.
Golf — Thursday, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Northfield Golf Course.
Field hockey — Thursday, 3:30 to 5:30.
Boys’ soccer (grades 9-12) — Thursday, 3:30 to 5:30.
Girls’ soccer (grades 9-12) — Thursday, 9 to 11 a.m. and 5 to 7 p.m.
Volleyball (grades 9-12) — Thursday, 1:30 to 3:30.
Middle School soccer and volleyball — Sept. 2, after school.
Baseline testing for student-athletes who did not complete the test last year will be done Thursday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Room 408.
Those who missed the team night meeting Wednesday must complete the concussion training online and turn in their completed certificate to the athletic director.
Deerfield Rec registration
The Deerfield Recreation Department will be sponsoring youth soccer programs for children in grades K through 6 this fall.
Registration will be held Aug. 28 and Sept. 2 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at Town Hall in South Deerfield. Registration forms can also be found online at www.deerfieldma.us.
Registration fee is $50 per child.
For more information, contact the Recreation Department at 665-1400 Ext. 107 or firstname.lastname@example.org.