Small fire heats up fast food restaurant
Greenfield Fire Chief Robert Strahan climbs onto the roof of Taco Bell to check for damage after smoke filled the restaurant Wednesday afternoon. Recorder/David Rainville Purchase photo reprints »
GREENFIELD — Firefighters quickly extinguished a small fire at a local fast food restaurant Wednesday afternoon.
The Fire Department was called to the combination Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken when the building filled with smoke at about 2 p.m. The smoke had come from an outside fire that worked its way into the walls, according to Capt. Andrew Garvin. He said the fire was started by improperly disposed smoking materials.
Garvin said firefighters arrived to find the exterior of the building smoldering. Once they tore into the walls, he said, they found that some plywood had caught fire, but they were able to extinguish it before the fire spread.
“There was some minor damage to the interior and exterior walls,” said Deputy Fire Chief Edward Jarvis.
Jarvis said everyone made it out of the building safely. The restaurant was able to re-open Wednesday, after cleaning up the damaged area.