Orange man displaced after house fire
Firefighters get fresh air bottles before going back in to fight a smoky fire at 115 Brookside Road, which is owned by Edward Krunklevich. (Recorder/Paul Franz)
Edward Krunklevich watches as firefighters try to save his home. (Recorder/Paul Franz)
ORANGE — Edward Krunklevich of 115 Brookside Road called 911 just after 3 p.m. on Thursday afternoon when a fire broke out in his home.
According to Orange Fire Chief Dennis Annear, the cause was an alternate heating device Krunklevich was using. Krunklevich who lives by himself, was not injured, but his ranch home is severely damaged from the smoke and heat. Firefighters needed to cut through the roof as the fire spread to the attic.
Chief Annear says the blaze was a two-alarm fire and that the official report would come later.
Orange firefighter James Hopkins, who is working toward his Fire Investigation Certification, will be working closely with the fire marshal to make a determination. In the meantime, the Red Cross has been contacted and Krunklevich will be supplied with fresh clothes and three days of housing.
The Orange Fire Department arrived on scene with three available firefighters to assess the situation. Four being required to enter a building, the towns of New Salem and Phillipston responded shortly afterward and a team went into the home. Fire Chief Annear says the firefighters did an overhaul to make sure the fire was out. He said the department would use a special camera for thermal imaging to scour the house extensively and make sure there were no more hot spots before leaving the site.
Krunklevich, who says he was never in danger, tried to put the fire out by himself before realizing it was beyond his control. Trying to phone 911, he realized his phone wires had been burned so he sought help at a neighbor’s home, borrowing their phone to call for help.