×

Fire caused by woodstove damages home in Whately



Recorder Staff
Tuesday, November 14, 2017

WHATELY — Seven fire departments responded to fire around midnight Tuesday on Haydenville Road. No one was injured, but the home with extensive water damage.

The fire, caused by a woodstove, had the chance to be “catastrophic,” but was quickly reported to the Whatley Fire Department, Deputy Chief Keith Bardwell said.

“Without a doubt, the damage would’ve been catastrophic had it the time to get going,” he said, noting the key role working smoke alarms in the home played.

The homeowners were not there at the time, but a house-sitter was present, instead, and was able to alert the Fire Department. The owners were in Maine and were notified of the incident.

The home was left with extensive water damage, but is salvageable, Bardwell said.

Bardwell’s team was able to leave the scene around 3:30 a.m., about 3½ hours after the first report.

“With everybody’s efforts together, we had a great save,” Bardwell said.